SPE 2022 Student Scholarship
RESL are proud to have been associated with the SPE Western Australian initiative to award 10 scholarships of $2000 to students from Curtin University, Edith Cowan University and The University of Western Australia. All applicants had to submit a 1 minute video explaining why they believed our industry will still require petroleum/energy engineers until 2050 and beyond. The answers were refreshing and inspired us to keep doing what we do!
RESL sponsored a scholarship and Dr Brian Twomey participated as an external judge.
We are delighted that our sponsorship of Saba Gharcheh Daghi from Edith Cowan University will enable her to continue her studies and help to continue to expand the pipeline of the pipeline of engineers potentially considering a career in our industry.
Significant Contract with Thailand’s Ministry of Energy - Department of Mineral Fuels
We are pleased to announce that RESL together with our Thai partner JST Group have been awarded a significant contract with Thailand’s Ministry of Energy – Department of Mineral Fuels (DMF).
The contract covers a comprehensive study which will provide the DMF with;
• An understanding of Thailand’s Decommissioning Preparedness
• New Thailand Decommissioning Guidelines and Well Abandonment Guidelines
• A designed and tested Decommissioning Management System
• A Thailand Decommissioning Master Plan for 2019-2024 including national engagement and international sharing
RESL’s Managing Director, Dr. Brian Twomey, says “RESL has worked in South East Asia and Thailand on decommissioning matters for many years. With the expected increase of decommissioning activity in Thailand in the coming years, we are excited to work for the Thai government, as we believe now is the right time for forming a strategy for decommissioning and well abandonment on a national level. We believe there is great potential for Thailand to achieve satisfactory decommissioning and well abandonment outcomes for all parties, and we will help identifying areas where the use of local content can be maximized. We are very excited to work with our partner JST Group which has a strong position in South East Asia and Thailand.”
JST Group’s Chief Operating Officer, Derek Stamp, comments; “JST Group is pleased with being awarded this contract from the Department of Mineral Fuels and with this stepping into the decommissioning sector. We are looking to expand further into decommissioning and well abandonment in Thailand where we see great potential in the coming years.”
Please contact us if you would like to learn more about the study or decommissioning in Thailand.
Presenter, Exhibitor and Sponsor at DecomWorld GOM 2017 in Houston, Texas, USA
Reverse Engineering Services Ltd participated at the annual DecomWorld GOM decommissioning conference in Houston 14-15 March 2017 where we presented the following papers:
Offshore Decommissioning & Well P&A Cost reduction strategies
Presented by Brian Twomey, Managing Director, Reverse Engineering Services Ltd and Ernest Hui, Global Business Improvement Lead, Shell
- Status and accuracy of current cost estimates
- Verification and Benchmarking of cost estimates
- Overview of Possible Cost Reduction Strategies
- High level potential effect of Law & Regulation on cost
- Potential effect of new technologies on cost
- Overview of three cost saving opportunities for Offshore Decommissioning
- Overview of three cost saving opportunities for well P&A
Decommissioning of Large Offshore Installations & Major Risk Identification
Presented by Brian Twomey, Managing Director, Reverse Engineering Services Ltd and Dylan Campbell, Risk Engineer, PetroSA
- Summary of global decommissioning requirements and interpretations, and the major risk identification process
- Traditional reverse installation methods using crane vessels
- Benefit from a discussion of alternative removal methods for large topsides and jackets, and an exploration of how to decommission other large offshore installations
- Well P&A: Barriers to Barriers - When Assets Become Liabilities
Steve Coombs, Principal Consultant & Operations Director, participated in a panel discussion with Delaney Olstad, Global Business Development Manager at Weatherford, Michael Smalley, Global Solutions Champion at Weatherford and Danny Turner, President of DRT Solutions.
- Benefit from a discussion of issues regarding barriers, including the economics of P&A, global regulations, and new technologies currently emerging
- Understand the well life cycle and interventions options so that you can make the best possible choices for your assets
- Consider assets as possible liabilities from the perspective of risk and well integrity
If you would like to learn more about these papers, please contact us.